LADY ON THE WEB

the virtual journal of Celia Gray

Friday, January 19, 2007

 

The Baltimore Catechism

The first lesson of the Baltimore Catechism, "The End of Man," asks (and answers) these questions. I have memorized this lesson. Click my Chat link and try catechizing me.

1. Who made the world?
2. Who is God?
3. What is man?
4. Is this likeness in the body or in the soul?
5. How is the soul like to God?
6. Why did God make you?
7. Of which must we take more care, our soul or our body?
8. Why must we take more care of our soul than of our body?
9. What must we do to save our souls?
10. How shall we know the things which we are to believe?
11. Where shall we find the chief truths which the Church teaches?
12. Say the Apostles' Creed.

Of course I learned my catechism when a small child, from my darling mother. She set it to music. One never forgets such things.

Miss Underwood thought it relevant to approach Catholicism from this simple vantage, since we are planning a study of Petrarch (after she has finished reading Nikolai Gogol's 1842 novel Dead Souls).